Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What's happening with Lisa these days. 10 things to keep friends posted about.

1. We're canceling cable! In attempting to cut back and save money in the budget we've found a new cut-back that will probably be good for the soul too. Canceling cable will save us $120/month and force us to spend our time doing other things that we don't seem to have any time to do. That means friends and family--be prepared for inviting us over for football games, KU basketball, any impressive T.V. events we would be missing out on. Bring on Netflix...and expanding Julian's entertainment horizon. We're going to be the only family with a 52 inch flat-screen on the wall without cable...I love the contrariness of it all. :)

2. I'm wallpapering the refrigerator. Check-out my recent post. So a search for amazing wallpaper begins. I recently moved my fridge to a little worthless niche in the kitchen that hosted cat boxes for some time. It opened the kitchen up drastically and made way for my desk to move in there. It has provided a new space for Bobby and I to hang-out, listening to music as we make dinner or his lunches for the next day.
3. We're getting healthy. As the new year approaches we're all filled with the nostalgia of resolutions and fresh-starts. For us, with new love and sincere appreciations--we don't want to consider the option of losing the other person. A new desire and motivation for living a long life has come strongly into focus. We want to see our grandchildren...we want to grow old and stay healthy and we've both been lax on getting there. Yoga, a membership to Scott Fitness, and more cooking lentils, beans, and veggies will be the priority of 2009. Can we learn to be frugal and fit? Stay tuned--maybe I'll journal our progress and call it Frugal and Fit in 2009! I'll be the star and Bobby will be the entertainment! lol. (He's a funny Mo-Fo).

4. Bobby's building a Motorcycle in the Living Room. Apparently he's done this before. Now that he is working with Sheet Metal he has more tools at which to employ and he is eliciting my artistic capabilities to help customize the seats and more artistic details. We are hoping to get the basement up and running as a detail shop but unfortunately a larger more accessible space will be needed in which a bike can be navigated out in full by spring--so the living room will be also be a work-shop.

5. The attic room is officially becoming my art studio. Mandatory collaging and painting hours must be set in place. Perhaps I will give myself assignments...I just feel a definite lack of art-making in my life. I think that part of my recurring down-times (aside from a lack of exercise) is not having enough art in my life. I need to lose myself in making things, and I need to write more. Enough said.

6. Back on the GREEN track. I've fallen off my save-the-world wagon. With all the car troubles, money troubles, roommate troubles, and whatever other troubles I may have been having I have put a lot less focus on GREENing up my life. Part of this is establishing systems that will help me maintain this effort. Doing some research on what is available in KC to maintain these systems and just implementing some discipline and motivation. OK...Frugal, Fit, and Fresh in 2009. Cheer me on!

7. Putting the Fit, Frugal, and Fresh into Fabulous. I want to start making clothes. I know what I like and I have the mind to design. One goal I have is to learn how to sew apparel. Starting with basics, skirts, scarves, and dresses...I plan on learning the basics so I can work toward my own creations. I realize I'll have to get a model's form eventually but until then, just starting with some basic fabrics and some basic patterns, I want to be able express myself through my clothes. By the time I'm having children of my own I would like to be proficient enough to make theirs.

8. Stepping up my Blog. I realize I've been inconsistent here and obviously unorganized. My life has been a whirl-wind. I've also been unsure of what I wanted, depressed, and bouncing from one turbulent even to another. A few things will be settling down. I've found love, true love that is full of friendship, laughter, sharing, and appreciation. We will be buckling down and working on our dreams (which I finally seem to be finding hold of). By July we'll either be settling down in the KC area or finding a home in North Lawrence--we have until then to finish our research...but settling is the ticket and our fit and frugal life will get us there. In the meantime I would like to be more interesting and actually discuss some of the things I've listed above. Show some of my internet finds and research. I will be creating some repeat columns and doing weekly posts that can be counted on. I would love feedback about these posts and perhaps as I actually manage to be interesting I can expand my list of readers. I don't know why I want this--except that I want art and I want to share art...and the world is art, and I am an artist, and I like to write and to share...and I'm inspired by the words, works and draw of other actually interesting blogs. More on this to come...

9. We're getting a kitten. It is Bobby's X-mas present. The kitties are too young to leave their mommy right now, but next week we are going over to pick from the litter (yes we get the pick). A free little gift with a vet bill to follow--but well worth the excitement of having joint ownership of something. I say that with a laugh because, although Runway and Julian are my cats--they are gaga over Bobby, I'm chopped liver.

10. I'm focusing on Family. What is more simple than that. I need to simplify my life. With all the goals I have I'm sure to get awfully busy and focused in 2009. I need my family and thank god, they need me too. My brother is going to be a Daddy, My nephews are going bigger in record time, My parents are finding peace in their separation and working on selling our family home...It's time to put the past behind me and move forward. My true friends continue to reveal themselves to me and where there is time--it should be filled with love. Bring on the FAmily and bring on the hilarity. We're a funny bunch!

No comments:

Blog Archive