I study B.K.S. Iyengar Yoga at The BKS Iyengar Yoga Center of Lawrence.(this is my studio)
The Iyengar method of Yoga has been such a perfect fit for me, my body, and the mind-set I have toward physical activity. I have always been wary of exercising. I have a short waste and narrow ribs and my lung capacity has always been shallow and inexcessible. Each attempt to stringent work-outs had always ended in frustration and irritation at my inability to maintain endurance and often I would be purple in the face and nausea in the end. Perhaps I wasn't breathing properly--but the mental process of having to focus on what I was doing always overcame my own personal will to keep going with the exercise.Several years back I was able to start running--something I have NEVER been able to do successfully--with my sister-n-law Lisa. She was great at encouraging me and never seemed put upon when I had to stop early. Finally I built up endurance and I was shocked when last fall I was able to run six miles with ease. The bottom line is, if I didn't have the ladies there to visit with during our runs I would never do it. I don't enjoy the running, only the companionship. The side-effects were great, skinny knees and less weight on my trunk, but the day I stopped running my body would resort back to its previous form...
...and then I started with the Yoga Center. I had taken Yoga casually in the past but walking into the Yoga Center here in Lawrence changed my life.
Iyengar Yoga uses the use of props to help get your body aligned and comfortable with the various positions. Essentially the use of props allows every body type to fit comfortably in each pose regardless of their individual flexibilities or strengths. Now I am very flexible and long--but not necessarily strong. As each classes progress the challenges of the courses get more advanced. The bottom-line is, I have found a life-time love. I enjoy the meditative qualities of the class. Each pose helps me to isolate and activate muscles I previously had very little control over.

I am just skimming the surface here. All I know is each Yoga class, I find myself running up the stairs eagerly to the studio and saying "yay" with each inversion, meditation, and pose and I am really looking forward to the doors it is opening for me. The final word for me was to find out that I am 1/2" taller than I have been for the last few years. I have literally stretched out my previously bent spine and gotten my body weight down 15 pounds from where had been for the last four years as well. I already eat relatively healthy but now I have a whole new outlook on the life ahead of me and I love love love Yoga. (this is my hopeful future studio, lol).
More Yoga journaling to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment